A website usability test is a great tool to learn how easy your website is to use. During a test, I essentially step into the role of the website visitor and explore your site. All the while my screen will be recorded, including my audio comments. This will give you a first-row seat in understanding which parts of your website work well and which don't work at all.
The purpose is for you to understand how well your website works for visitors, where they might encounter problems or feel confused. The test results can then be used to improve your site.
Usability testing can help you understand...
- if important information can be found by visitors
- how easily your website can be navigated
- if processes are transparent and easily executed, e.g. registrations, sign-ups or check-out carts
- how your design & layout affects user experience
- if your call-to-actions are as effective as possible
User Experience is essential for Search Engine Optimization
If you want to do well on Google, you have to make sure that your website also works for users.
Let me give you an example: someone clicks on your website in the search result. Once on your site, they find it cluttered and can't see the piece of information they were hoping to find. What do you think will happen?
They will hit the return button.
After all, there are many other search results, and one of them might provide the answer much quicker; without having to spend minutes searching for it. At this moment the visitor tells Google that they don't like your website. It didn't provide them with the information they were hoping to find. And then what happens?
Your rankings will drop.
You can have the best SEO setup in the world, but if your website doesn't work for visitors, all that SEO is useless. That's why you should do a website usability test.
How does a website usability test work?
I will take you on a journey around your website from a user’s point of view – I’ll record my screen as I navigate your website, take a look around and test its function. And you can watch every step of the way.
- Initially, I take a few minutes to get a first impression and see what works and what doesn't.
- You can set specific tasks, e.g.newsletter sign-up, registering or even finding a piece of information.
- If you don’t have anything specific in mind, that’s no problem – I will have a set of tasks to ready.
- During the whole video, I will be talking so that you know exactly how easy it is to use your website and what makes it harder to use.
- And last but not least, I’m happy to test your website in English or German.
Once finished with the recording, I'll prepare a detailed report of my findings as well as action steps to improve your website.